Scope of Work
GR Engineering were appointed by Tellus Holdings Ltd to design and construct Australia’s first commercial dual open-cut kaolin mine and arid near-surface geological waste repository with a 25-year operating license. Located 240 kilometres by road west north west of Kalgoorlie, the project involved mining up to 290,000 tpa of kaolin clay and receiving up to 100,000 tpa of Class IV (Secure Landfill) and Class V Intractable Landfill waste (“hazardous waste”) at the gate over the 25 year facility life.
The facility scope included:
- Site vehicle entry and administration office with radiation monitoring;
- Container storage yards with flammable storage;
- Onsite laboratory for analysis;
- Waste immobilisation plant used to prepare/stabilise waste sludge/liquid by combination with kaolin and cement discharged into half height containers;
- Radioactive warehouse facilities and waste inspection bays;
- HV/LV workshop and wash down bay;
- Site infrastructure services including bore water pipeline, refueling and water distribution;
- Excavation of first waste cell and erection of 180 m x 90 m Cell Air Dome Structure (CADS) to prevent ingress of water during waste placement;
- Accommodation camp for 71 persons.
Project Fact Sheet
Click to download
Award of Sandy Ridge Project EPC Contract
The Sandy Ridge project involves the design, installation and commissioning of the largest air dome in the southern hemisphere.
View Projects Map